Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Already successfully running Boost on Linux, looking for advice from Windows Boost adopters
From: Ray Burkholder (ray_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-14 19:24:42

> You're probably going to run into the same artifact I was complaining
> about earlier today.... there seems to be something funky about the
> 1.39
> edition (which I downloaded from Boost Pro), wherein it makes Visual
> Studio a tad wacky.
>
> I never had that happen with 1.35 (which I had been using).
>
> This morning I spent a couple hours fighting with the build utilities
> get 1.40 (the latest, in source, which BoostPro doesn't have in binary
> form) to compile into .lib and .dll files.

Getting boost to build on windows when you have msvc is straightforward and
can be done from the command line:

* download boost from
    * https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/
* unzip the file into a directory... for v1.40 it will be boost_1_40_0
* download windows precompiled bjam (the zip file) from:
   * https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-jam/
* unzip the file and move the bjam.exe program into the root of your boost
expansion.. boost_1_40_0
* run something like the following to build a multi-threaded, static linked
version of boost:
  * bjam --layout=versioned --toolset=msvc-9.0 variant=debug threading=multi
link=static runtime-link=static stage
* the sub-directory .\stage will have the libraries
* to get help on further options (for dll, release, single-threading, ...)
   * bjam --help

believed to be clean.