Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Compiler warnings from Macs, IBM acc, Borland, Comeau, Metroworks, et al - are they a Problem?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-27 12:07:27

I know this suggestion has been made but I want to expand a little on it.

a "library" - warning policy test. This would be just like any other
library as far as the testing system goes. It would have maybe
10? small compile only tests which would emit warnings or not.
The source would describe which warning is in fact being tested.

Presumably, the test matrix would permit one to look at the warning
messages. (I'm not sure that the current one does this).

In anycase, it would permit the test matrix be used to check
the warning status for each warning on each compiler at
a specified warning level.

I see this as the only way to get a real grip on how these things
vary among the array of compiler's we might use.

I realize that it would be some work, but I would think it wouldn't
be all that much more - if any - than that which has already been
expended on the wiki. It would have the great advantage of
being relatively free of "maintainence by hand". It would automate
the whole process of determining the status of different compilers
in this area.

Robert Ramey