Subject: Re: [Boost-users] 1.41.0 fails to compile on Windows 7 with VisualStudion 2008 tools
From: Mike Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-05 15:04:17

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Zachary Turner <divisortheory_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Mike Jackson <mike.jackson_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Going from some older notes I had I believe I used the following from
>> a 32 bit Visual Studio command prompt.
>>
>> bjam.exe toolset=msvc-9.0 --with-test --with-filesystem
>> --with-program_options --with-date_time --with-thread
>> --prefix=C:\Developer\VS9\boost_1_41 --layout=tagged
>> variant=release,debug threading=multi link=static runtime-link=shared
>> install
>>
>> I guess I should have tried the default values to compile but this has
>> worked since 1.36 on Windows XP and Windows 7 in both 32 and 64 bit
>> flavors.
>
> I'll admit I'm actually not familiar with any of these options.  What do the
> with* options do?  All of those libraries are built by default anyway.  For
> the record it doesn't matter what command prompt you use, even if it's not a
> visual studio command prompt at all.  In any case, I used:
>
> bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 address-model=64 --build-type=complete stage
>
> If you just want to get a build out, you can probably try this until someone
> figures out the build issue with the specific set of options you were using.

The --with options tell bjam to ONLY compile those libraries. Those
are all standard options with boost-build. If you do a bjam --help (or
something like that) you will get all of these options.

 And the fact that the CMake based build system has the exact same
problem tends to point to something in the code, although I did
replicate the same types of options with CMake as I did with the
boost-build version. When I get some time on monday I may give it a
try. I left my patched 1.41.0 at work so can not try here at home.

Mike Jackson mike.jackson_at_[hidden]
BlueQuartz Software www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer Dayton, Ohio