Subject: Re: [Boost-users] usage of bcp
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-08 05:58:24

> I've been reconsidering the use of bcp to import boost code into a
> public-facing portion of our api for intrusive_ptr, I've read the
> documentation somewhat, and tried using the command as follows:
>
> C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_41_0\>bcp intrusive_ptr ../../intrusive_ptr

What directory is it being run from? If it doesn't know where the Boost
root directory is then the "intrusive_ptr" arg will be flagged as an error
leading to the help screen. So either... use the --boost=path option to set
the location of the boost tree, or else cd into Boost's root directory and:

bcp boost/intrusive_ptr.hpp destination-path

to get just the header and it's dependencies, or else:

bcp intrusive destination-path

to get all of the "intrusive" library and it's dependencies - including
those of the example and test programs - ie quite a lot of code.

Using "intrusive_ptr" as a name failed, because there is no such library
name in boost... it's spelled "intrusive" instead.

> This seems to fail as it brings up the usage screen instead of producing
> anything useful, how can I get it to work correctly? even going into the
> boost subdirectory and pointing to a destination of /int_ptr gave the
> same result.
>
> Also, I read about a way to rename the namespaces/defines in boost to
> limit/prevent clashing with client code, how do I go about triggering
> this?

It's not present in bcp - there was a modified version, but the
changes/patches never got submitted :-(

You would need to contact the original author of those messages for more
info.

HTH, John.