Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Problem using Boost regex
From: Bill Buklis (boostuser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-09 16:30:01

> I've just updated to the latest service pack for Visual Studio 8 Express.
> And although it took my DebugCRT up a notch, it only took me to
> 8.0.50727.762. I still don't have the same version as you
> (8.0.50727.4053).
>
> I'm guessing that you must be using the full edition John (i.e. not the
> free, Express Edition). Is that correct? If so, there's no way that I
> can
> make this work by upgrading Visual Studio Express. I'll have to follow
> one
> of your other suggestions. Thanks for all your patience.

The .4053 versions were added with the "Security Update for MS Visual Studio
2005 Service Pack 1" update (KB971090, KB973923, and KB973673). These only
fix a minor security issue related to ATL packages. 762 is the previous
version which has been around for quite a while.

You can build EXEs using 762 and it will load a 4053 DLL just fine, but not
the other way.

I have no idea if the Express edition is limited to 762, but it seems
unlikely, yet sadly possible.

-- Bill --