Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] object tracking for shared strings
From: Nils Krumnack (nils_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-17 14:56:15

On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:

> Nils Krumnack wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>>> If a lot of your strings are duplicated, I think boot::flyweight
>>> might bear looking into.
>>
>> Thanks, that would have saved some work. Right what I needed. But
>> it
>> appears it doesn't have serialization support (as of 1.39).
>
> Hmm - I thought it did

Well, I'll try to update to the latest boost version and see if it is
there.

>> Is that
>> the usual thing where we pass the buck between the developers of the
>> different libraries as to who has to implement this functionality?
>> Particularly for flyweights this would be nice to have, given the
>> aforementioned problem.
>
> Well, excuse me, I was only trying to help.

Oh, I didn't mean to cause any offense. I greatly appreciate the
boost libraries in general, and the serialization library in
particular. It is a very nice piece of work and I use it all the
time. Without taking anything away from that, I would prefer if the
other boost libraries provided serialization support for their
objects. However it seems to fall somewhere between the cracks, which
I think is kind of a shame.

I'd be happy to help by writing serialization code, where it does not
exists and I know the library. I am just not sure if it gets accepted
or will just be a waste of effort. I remember someone floated code
for serializing filesystem::path objects on this mailing list an
eternity ago, which was never incorporated into a stable release.

Thanks again,
Nils