Subject: [Boost-users] Serialization of derived class in a plugin
From: Jean-Charles Quillet (jeancharles.quillet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-19 09:43:55

Hi,

I've been using the boost serialization on many projects. But I can't manage
to make it work on my current project.

Basically, I've a main application and an abstract class located in a
separate dll. The application loads dynamically plugins which defines
classes derived from the abstract class. Then I'm trying to serialize a
class created by a plugin using a pointer to the abstract class, I always
get a "Unregistered class" exception. I've used the BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT macro
in the plugins trying to make the boost serialization library aware of my
classes without any success so far.

Looking in the source directory and specially in the "test" directory, I've
seen that what I'm trying to do is the same as the test described by the
file test_dll_plugin.cpp, unfortunately, it seems the test is not compiled
and I can't manage to make it link without error.
So my main concern is: is this feature supposed to be working ? If not I'll
have to review my design. If it does what is the magic to make it work (like
how to compile test_dll_plugin.cpp or another simple working example) ?
Thanks for any help,

Jean-Charles