Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Serialization of derived class in a plugin
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-19 18:19:12

note that there a few demos of this facility example/demo_???. Also demo_pimple might be helpful.

Also there is test_exported_dll and test_simple_dll.

Check these out and see if it helps.

Also, quadriple check that your base class has at least one virtual function.

Robert Ramey

  "Jean-Charles Quillet" <jeancharles.quillet_at_[hidden]> wrote in message news:3dd8f9530912190643k77ed2c0co2aeabf7d41af35a2_at_mail.gmail.com...
  Hi,

  I've been using the boost serialization on many projects. But I can't manage to make it work on my current project.

  Basically, I've a main application and an abstract class located in a separate dll. The application loads dynamically plugins which defines classes derived from the abstract class. Then I'm trying to serialize a class created by a plugin using a pointer to the abstract class, I always get a "Unregistered class" exception. I've used the BOOST_CLASS_EXPORT macro in the plugins trying to make the boost serialization library aware of my classes without any success so far.

  Looking in the source directory and specially in the "test" directory, I've seen that what I'm trying to do is the same as the test described by the file test_dll_plugin.cpp, unfortunately, it seems the test is not compiled and I can't manage to make it link without error.
  So my main concern is: is this feature supposed to be working ? If not I'll have to review my design. If it does what is the magic to make it work (like how to compile test_dll_plugin.cpp or another simple working example) ?
  Thanks for any help,

  Jean-Charles