Subject: [Boost-users] Ease of use vs. stability
From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-18 18:48:24

Hi there,

I am using a multitude of different Boost libraries in my code. Since that
code is growing quickly, I am increasingly running into bugs which I
(sometimes) consider to be on Boost's side.

Allowing only selected Boost versions which are known to run fine with my
code would allow me to keep that code simpler and thus less error-prone. As
my main platform is Linux, however, which usually comes with a given version
of Boost (currently often 1.39), my users would be forced to compile Boost
themselves, which will mean that they are less likely to start using my
code.

If I generally allow all Boost versions above a given version, I have to
work around known bugs in certain Boost versions, at the expense of code
simplicity and thus stability. However, it will be easier for users to adopt
my code.

Which strategy did you pick for your code ?

Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Ruediger Berlich