Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Embedding boost in a given project
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-26 00:37:45

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Brad Hubbard <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> OvermindDL1 wrote:
>>
>> If there are libraries that are not header only, I have found it is
>> just about as easy to add the cpp files for those in my own project as
>> well (unless you need a shared library, but that is easy enough as
>> well).
>>

> I'm amazed I never even considered this.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

No problem, but fair warning, it works with most things, but not everything.

For example, Boost.Python you want as a standalone library if you are
making modules that will be linked by the python main exe, however if
you are embedding python in your own executable, then it is fine to
just drop the cpp files into your own app then, things like that.

Generally, as long as you are not using boost libraries in some linked
in DLL's, there are no problems, if no external non-boost but
boost-using dll exists though, then it is situation dependent on
whether it is safe, some situations as described between whether you
want to use dynamic or static anyway.