Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Embedding boost in a given project
From: Francesco Biscani (bluescarni_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-27 10:07:53

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> No problem, but fair warning, it works with most things, but not everything.
>
> For example, Boost.Python you want as a standalone library if you are
> making modules that will be linked by the python main exe, however if
> you are embedding python in your own executable, then it is fine to
> just drop the cpp files into your own app then, things like that.
>
> Generally, as long as you are not using boost libraries in some linked
> in DLL's, there are no problems, if no external non-boost but
> boost-using dll exists though, then it is situation dependent on
> whether it is safe, some situations as described between whether you
> want to use dynamic or static anyway.

I use this method also for DLLs, and it works fine for me. The only
problematic part is identifying which preprocessor directives you need
to pass for each compiled library you want to include - e.g.,
-DBOOST_PYTHON_SOURCE, -DBOOST_THREAD_BUILD_DLL
-DBOOST_SERIALIZATION_DYN_LINK=1 and the like.

Cheers,

  Francesco.