Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Using Boost 1.41 / output directories
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-04 14:56:29

Hi !

On Wednesday 03 February 2010, you wrote:
> When using 1.41.0, the output path for the object files is different
> than when using 1.37.0.

Yes, that fixes some issues. See below for further detail...

> source code:
> home/proj/moduleA/1
> home/proj/moduleA/2
> home/proj/moduleA/3

> All object files from moduleA/1, /2, /3 are as follows, when using
> 1.37.0

> home/proj/build/gcc/threading/debug/moduleA/

> When using 1.41.0, the object files are created as follows:
> home/build/gcc/threading/debug/moduleA/1
> home/build/gcc/threading/debug/moduleA/2
> home/build/gcc/threading/debug/moduleA/3

This was changed (by me :-)) to allow identical file names in different
directories.
This enables things like
home/proj/moduleA/1/foo.cpp
home/proj/moduleA/2/foo.cpp

which occur regularly here (make 1=sqlio and 2=io and 3=data and you get
the picture...)

> This is messing up our build esp the header file include paths
> becasue some of out .h & .cpp files are dynamically generated to the
> build location and compiled

How do you create those files ? Boost.Build internal magic will adjust
everything to "just work" state :-)) External tools might be tweaked.

> How can I make the object files layout similar to when using 1.37.0?

Short answer: You can't.

I've crossposted this to the Boost.Build mailing list, which is more
appropriate.

A self-contained test case would be helpfull, too ;-))

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH