Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [proto] using proto with nvcc
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-11 07:49:47

Hi,

I created the following ticket:

that gathers the basic files needed to actually make
nvcc a proper compiler target for boost.

THe patch contain a macro called BOOST_GPU_ENABLED
that resolves as :

__host__ __device__

This macro can be used on any function or method declaration
in Boost so they can be used as device AND host function.

Making boost fully GPU compatible (ie compiling boost component inside a
device function) may require to add this on EVERY possible boost
function and method. Considering he amount of work needed I prefer first
put this up and see what people make out of it.

Concernign proto itself, i finally understood why the previous patch was
needed. Seems a BOOST_NO_XXX is still missing. I'll investigate and
propose a proper patch for that.

Side note: If anyone is interested into pursuing efforts in this
direction, we'll gladly accept help (evn just for testing) and comments
so we can actually tackle a proper patching process on interesting
components.

Regards