Subject: [Boost-users] [filesystem] basic_path as parameter
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 09:36:27

I'd like to use basic_path as a function parameter so that it works

correctly whether a wide or narrow string is passed.

template<typename T>

void func(basic_path<T> file) { do thing to file }

func("myfile");

func(L"myfile");

However I can't do this because basic_path has a second Traits template

parameter which is not itself a template. So I tried the following

workaround:

template<typename T> struct traits_chooser;

template<> struct traits_chooser<char*>

{

    typedef boost::filesystem::path_traits traits;

};

template<> struct traits_chooser<wchar_t*>

{

    typedef boost::filesystem::wpath_traits traits;

};

template<typename T>

void func(basic_path<T, typename traits_chooser<T>::traits> file) {...}

But my compiler (MSVC 2005) still can't deduce the parameter type. Does

anyone know how I can get this to work?

Many thanks.

Alex Lamaison