Subject: [Boost-users] [wave] Some basic questions...
From: Paul Johnson (sa212+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 05:42:45

I've just started using wave, but it occurs to me that there are some
basic things I don't understand about it, and which aren't (I think)
covered in the online docs. Does anyone know:

1 - presumably wave uses UTF-8? Will it accept arbitrary UTF-8 files?
What if the source starts with a 3-byte UTF-8 BOM?

2 - how closely does the source have to conform to C/C++ code? I can
understand that the source has to follow basic lexing conventions (use
of apostrophes, and so on), but wave actually seems to carry out full
C++ lexing. Why is this necessary - could it just process
whitespace-delimited tokens (outside comments)? The reason I'm asking is
that I'm pre-processing arbitrary non-C code. This seems to be Ok if I
disable whitespace insertion for disambiguation, but I'd just like to be
sure that I'm not missing something.

Thanks -

Paul