Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] Are there libraries to deserialize XML for any scripting languages?
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-28 23:36:37

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Martin Muggli <Martin.Muggli_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to be able to work with the data serialized using the
> xml_oarchive serializer in a scripting language for rapid development of
> a debugging/diagnostic tool.  It seems conceivable a library could
> construct a native representation of a C++ object model. I would think
> it could do this using just the serialized XML since most scripting
> languages allow dynamic creation/modification of classes and objects.
>
> I've searched the web for such a thing, but didn't stumble across
> anything.  Can anyone point me toward any work that's been done in this
> area?
>
> A possible alternative that comes to mind is to use py++ to generate
> Python/boost.Python bindings to the original C++ classes and just use
> the boost::serilization XML deserializer, but I'm concerned getting all
> that working will offset the time savings of a scripting language.

The xml serializer has a pretty defined ordering and pattern, it could
be done, but not easy, might be better to write your own serializer.

However, your mention of using Boost.Python would also work very well,
could use Python's Pickle functionality to deal with all of your
serialization anyway, and it can be pretty quick to do depending on
your class setup.