Subject: [Boost-users] [serialization] baffled by very long archive load time
From: Martin Weinberg (weinberg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-29 11:25:28

I have been developing and maintaining a large computatation
statistics package (http://www.astro.umass.edu/BIE). It is an MPI
application that uses boost::sersialization to implement persistence.

After recently adding a new class, I notice that the archive load
times have gone from seconds to over an hour!! The binary archive
size is 30MB. Regression tests suggest that the resumed state is
correct albeit the very long load time. The package is implemented in
multiple shared libraries and classes are exported as suggested in the
documentation. I have noticed that I need to compile with "-Ox
-fno-inline-small-functions" when x=2,3. I'm not sure if this is
significant. The system is Debian/GNU Linux, 2.2Ghz 0pteron 64bit.
The behavior is the same with Boost 1.37, 1.38 and 1.42.

The new class has many nested STL container instances e.g.

    vector< vector<float> > . . .

but very few archived pointers. I've not been able to isolate the
cause in test cases (e.g. making very large instances of STL nested
containers; these are deserialized in under a second). Any thoughts
on things to track down?

Thanks!

--
Martin Weinberg                      Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Astronomy                   FAX:   (413) 545-4223