Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::timer elapsed time
From: Roman Perepelitsa (roman.perepelitsa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-31 09:01:25

2010/3/31 Federico Golfrè Andreasi <federico.golfre_at_[hidden]>

> Hi,
>

> I've read the post from Roman, and I'm not sure that I've understand.
>
> Under linux the timer.elapsed() function will not return the total time
> needed to do all the operations but only the CPU time,
> this excludes network communication in parallel programs, time spent for
> I/O operations ?

This is correct.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/timer/timer.htmmentions that
boost::timer uses C function clock to measure time.

GNU libc documentation says that function clock returns CPU time:
http://www.gnu.org/s/libc/manual/html_node/CPU-Time.html.

For example if I need to measure the time needed to read an input file I
> should not use the timer library? What else?

This I don't know, sorry.

Roman Perepelitsa.