Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost][serialization] Binary portable archive (eos implementation in Vault)
From: Marc Perso (marc.viala_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-10 12:18:14

> De : Pfligersdorffer, Christian
[mailto:Christian.Pfligersdorffer_at_[hidden]]
> Hi Marc,

Hi Christian,

Thank you for considering my post.

> since I do not always monitor the boost users list it is good you
> contacted me in this issue. Your problem is almost certainly VC7.1 since
> that is unfortunately not tested and not supported by me. We use VC8
> here and is to be considered outdated ;-)

> I succeeded in building and running your example using me setup:
> - VC8
> - boost 1.41
> - XP 32-bit

> I am not sure where VC7.1 fails but it might be some template stuff that
> was not fully supported then... Is upgrading your compiler an option for
> you (and your team)?

We are going to upgrade from VC7.1 to VC9 in few weeks or few months but for
the moment nothing was confirmed administratively speaking so I'm not very
confident right now about this upgrade. And this upgrade will be consequent
in term of workload for us and we can assume that it will take few days to
be completed. I will prefer to integrate your "portable archive" before this
migration but I'm not able to identify the workload for tweaking your source
code for VC7.1. I'm sure that a lot of Boost experts can be very helpful for
finding this tweaking: maybe Robert Ramey? Any helps from Boost experts to
have this nice tool running under VC7.1 will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Marc Viala