Subject: [Boost-users] BCP question
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-05 16:05:46

I'm investigating BCP and have at least one question.

When I use --list with BCP to generate a list of dependencies for the
serialization library, I get among otherthings:

boost/iterator.hpp
boost/iterator/detail/config_def.hpp
boost/iterator/detail/config_undef.hpp
boost/iterator/detail/enable_if.hpp
boost/iterator/detail/facade_iterator_category.hpp
boost/iterator/filter_iterator.hpp
boost/iterator/interoperable.hpp
boost/iterator/iterator_adaptor.hpp
boost/iterator/iterator_categories.hpp
boost/iterator/iterator_facade.hpp
boost/iterator/iterator_traits.hpp
boost/iterator/transform_iterator.hpp

The first one - boost/iterator.hpp - what I wonder about. I searched the
files in used
in the serialization library and I could find on direct usage of the
convenience
header "boost/iterator.hpp". I'm guess that this is a secondary dependency
introduced by something I've included directly. So

a) Is this a good guess?
b) Is there an easy way of determining which of the things I'm including is
including
boost/iterator.hpp?

I've taken care while working on the serialization library to minimize
gratuitous
dependencies. It seems that other libraries might be including the
"convenience headers"
which subverts my intention to minimize dependencies. Would this not be a
good
argument for library writters to refrain from using these convenience
headers?

Robert Ramey

BTW - I had never looked at BCP before. An incredible accomplishment to
write such
a thing - correctly.

RR