Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Test] Tests execution order and depends_on method.
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-05 00:52:34

Maria Kozinska <maria.kozinska <at> ens-lyon.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have couple of question to Boost.Test framework.
>
> I'd like to ask why test_unit::depends_on(test_unit*) method is
> not described in User's guide.

Missed it in a version of docs I prepared couple year ago. Needs to
be added.

> Is it only for internal use by framework or
> I can use it freely?

No. It's intended for end user.

> I assume, that it can be used to determine precedence of one test
> before another.

Yes.

> What happens if there is a cycle in dependence graph?

None of the test units are going to be executed. They are going to
be reported as skipped.

> If a test case fails, are dependent on it tests executed?

No.

> In what order are executed automatically registered test suites and
> test cases?

For the test units registered in different test files there is no order.
For the test units with the same test file the order will be "natural"
from top to bottom.

> And in what order when they are manually registered
> (without any depends_on)?

In the order you registered.

> How this order is affected by depends_on method?

All dependencies should pass for the test unit to be executed.

Gennadiy