Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Best libraries for a Boost workshop
From: Robert Jones (robertgbjones_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-23 03:48:31

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Mike P <mike.polyakov_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> If I was being introduced to boost for the first time, I would
> appreciated seeing the following topics presented:
>
> shared_ptr and other smart pointers
> tuples
> bind and lambda (just a little subset of what is possible)
> enable_if (and overview of SFINAE)
> function
> multi_index (some simple subset of it)
> variant and any (and their differences)
> ref (with a couple of examples where it is useful)
> type_traits (just so to show that something like this exists)
>
> possibly a little bit of regex
> possibly a little of threads

That's a very good list, and pretty much the selection I'd make too. All
of those mentioned here are the 'utility' libraries of Boost, which is
the Boost I make most use of, but I guess there are also more application
specific libraries like Asio.

There's also the very small, but essential, things like Boost::swap,
noncopyable, etc., which have the benefit of being able to be covered
quickly.

The new Range library might also be worth some attention, as much as
anything for its ability to leverage a higher level of abstraction of
ranges.

- Rob.