Subject: [Boost-users] Boost 1.28.0 and Visual C++ 2010
From: Gregory Tyler (greg_tyler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-30 16:45:44

Hi,

I'm trying to migrate a Visual C++ 6 workspace to Visual C++ 2010. When I try to compile the resulting solution, I get error messages like these:

Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results

With the help of this page...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/09fa47e5-6e99-4f9c-83bf-43de61241d7b/

...I've traced the problem to a compiler version check in boost/config/compiler/visualc.hpp:

#define BOOST_COMPILER "Microsoft Visual C++ version " BOOST_STRINGIZE(_MSC_VER)

//
// versions check:
// we don't support Visual C++ prior to version 6:
#if _MSC_VER < 1200
#error "Compiler not supported or configured - please reconfigure"
#endif
//
// last known and checked version is 1301:
#if (_MSC_VER > 1301)
# if defined(BOOST_ASSERT_CONFIG)
# error "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results"
# else
# pragma message("Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report the results")
# endif
#endif

According to this page...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b0084kay.aspx

... _MSC_VER for Visual C++ 2010 is 1600.

If I were to modify the version checking code in visualc.hpp, then would you anticipate problems? For a variety of reasons, I would like to avoid upgrading Boost if at all possible.

Thanks,

Greg