Subject: Re: [Boost-users] bitsets in ITL
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-30 16:49:10

Hi Amir,

thank you for evaluating the Interval Template Library

2010/6/30 Amir Gonnen <amirgonnen_at_[hidden]>:
> I'm evaluating ITL (Interval Template Library which was recently accepted to
> boost) in order to represent sparse bitsets.
> In the current implementation the large_bitset class is given as an example
> with minimal functionality. Are there any plans to develop it into a fully
> featured bitset and make it a part of boost?

A more elaborated version of large_bitset can be found here.

#include <boost/itl_xt/interval_bitset.hpp>

itl_xt is the extended part of the itl, which contains code not yet
intended for inclusion into boost.
I think <boost/itl_xt/interval_bitset.hpp> is pretty well tested and
should be suitable for production code. You have to download the
extended itl-version itl_plus_3_2_0.zip or itl_plus_3_2_1.zip form the
vault or from sourceforge, if you don't have the itl_xt part already:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/itl/

> It would be nice if it implemented the interface of dynamic_bitset, to ease
> the migration between dynamic_bitset and large_bitset.

During the review we have discussed a set of namespace global
functions for all kinds of set implementations, that can be
implemented for interval_bitsets or plain bitsets. The naming of those
function refers to geometry standards:

E.g.
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.5/reference.html#Spatial_Relationships_Measurements

Which gives the set implementation a broader context. There will be no
bitset style implementation for interval_bitset, but you could write a
wrapper yourself using private inheritence and the using-statement on
member functions.

Best regards,
Joachim