Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Open a filename with a wstring or wchar_t *
From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-02 19:06:44

On 8/2/2010 15:21, PB wrote:
> We had a program compiling under Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 that was
> running in different regions around the world and allowing users in
> their regions to open their files ok. This program deals at the char*
> level, working with strings encoded using local code pages.

The only way this approach could possibly work is if users only used
file names that could be encoded in their default code page, which is
simply not true a lot of the time. For example, I run under a Japanese
locale, but I regularly deal with files with Chinese names or German
names that cannot be represented in CP932, the Japanese code page under
Windows.

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd_at_[hidden]