Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [distributions]: Inverse Gamma
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-04 04:37:30

The pdf and pdf etc looks fairly straightforward (only uses exp, pow and gamma?) so I might be persuaded to do these.
But the inverses (qhantiles) may prove more troublesome if have to be done by brute force numerically

R library does it numerically http://rss.acs.unt.edu/Rdoc/library/pscl/html/igamma.html

- or are there analytic expressions for these?

Or can it use the inverse of the gamma distribution?

> Is contribution on my side expected (can be done just notice I am a
> [heavy !] user of the stats library only, not familiar with code /
> numerical stability issues).

I'm not mathematician enough to deal with this - but I can deal with the obfuscated code (by templating and policies) if
you can provide the equations.

(And there is the question of testing - some parameters and value combinations (preferably exact) are needed for sanity
and accuracy checks).

Are there use cases for the inverses?

Paul

---