Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Is Boost-CMake Dead or Alive?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-28 10:29:51

On 8/28/2010 3:12 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> At Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:41:46 -0400, Eric Niebler wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if we achieve our vision, it's not clear that Boost as an
>>> organization will adopt it.
>>
>> <ahem>
>>
>> A small correction: even *when* we achieve our vision, there's no
>> *guarantee* that Boost will adopt it.
>>
>> [But Boost will adopt it. Just promise not to sue us in case they
>> don't :-)]
>
> I find the above statement to be a very interesting advertisement approach
> for a project that addresses requirements that were never discussed on
> this list, and which itself was never discussed much. In fact, this statement
> sounds like you have made some secret arrangements (*), or even that you had
> some revelation from supernatural powers -- which is probably not what you
> was going to communicate.
>
> I think Eric statement is much more balanced.
>
> - Volodya
>
> (*) In fact, ryppl gave an impression of some secret arrangements from the
> very start.

Dave was expressing confidence about the value of our work, no more.
There have been no secrets and no back-room negotiations. Boost's
scalability problems have been discussed endlessly here and in open
sessions at BoostCon, but no decisions about Boost's future were made or
will be made by fiat. Boost doesn't work that way.

It's true that the requirements of, or even the need for, ryppl was not
debated here on this list. But that's how most Boost libraries start.
Someone has a vision and builds a thing. Then they bring it to Boost and
it's improved and accepted or rejected. Trying to get quorum on a thing
that isn't built yet is just hard. "If you build it, they will come" --
so we hope.

We're building ryppl because we think the development community (not
just Boost) could benefit from it. We're building it in the open. The
mailing list is public, our design and vision are published, we're
gladly accepting feedback and patches. We're working hard to make ryppl
support the scenarios that are important to Boost, so I have high
personal hopes that when it's ready Boost will adopt it. But that will
be left up to the community.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing