Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] Encrypting an xml archive
From: Sean Farrow (sean.farrow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-13 03:15:54

Hi:
Thanks Robert, just whatr I need.
Regards
Sean.

-----Original Message-----
From: boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Robert Ramey
Sent: 13 September 2010 08:20
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]

Sean Farrow wrote:
> Hi:
> Has anyone had the need to encrypt an xml or binary archive? If so
> what is the best way of going about it? Do I need to create a totally
> new archive class, or can I just derive from another one of boosts
> archive classes, if yes which methods should be overridden?
> Thanks for any pointers
> Regards
> Sean.

the best way is to

a) make an encrypted stream_buf
b) use this to make an encrypted stream - very easy
c) use your encripted stream with the serialization library just like you do with any other stream

Remember that the archive class just maps types to the underlying stream - any stream will do.

Also you could make a new stream with the boost iostreams library. This would allow you to make an encrypted and compressed stream with no additional labor.

Robert Ramey.