Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Could searching and indexing Boost docs might work better?
From: Cory Nelson (phrosty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-18 11:36:53

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Paul A. Bristow
>> Using boost.org and entering "Running specific test units selected by their
>> name" into the search box also didn't produce the latest docs page above,
>> only out of date stuff.  Limiting search to www.boost.org didn't get 1.44
>> docs (only misleading ref to 1.38).
>
> This is because of the way our versioned docs are done.  You can
> always get to the latest version of a page by substituting "release"
> for the version number in the URL, but because that is just a
> redirect, it doesn't end up in Google's index.  Maybe the "release"
> URLs should be the actual pages that are redirected from the latest
> version number and we should be telling google not to index any of the
> pages  that have a version number in the URL.

I don't like this. You might end up missing some functionality that
was changed or removed from a prior version. Users of 1.40 packaged
with their favorite linux distro might not be able to find the docs
for their old Filesystem code.

How about a notice at the top of the page saying that it might not be
for the latest and greatest version, with a link to the "release"
version?

Or (more complex) do what MSDN does, and have a box on each page like
"This page is specific to Boost X. Other versions are also available
for the following: Boost Y, Boost Z"

--
Cory Nelson
http://int64.org