Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Bjam problem - again
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-23 11:52:58

> I've moved to a new machine, and I can run bjam jobs from trunk, but when
> try to run sandbox jobs, I am baffled by this message.
>
> Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find build system.
> I:\boost-sandbox\boost-build.jam attempted to load the build system by
> invoking
>
> 'boost-build ;'
>
> but we were unable to find "bootstrap.jam" in the specified directory
>
> Unhelpfully, it doesn't seem to reveal what the 'specified directory'
> actually is.

Paul, is the root directory of the sandbox up to date? A while back I added
some better error handling to the boost-build.jam specifically to address
inscrutable error messages like this. Also added a readme.txt file which
says:

This directory contains the file "boost-build.jam" which search for a Boost
install as follows:

* In a directory specified by the --boost=path command line option.
* In a directory specified by the BOOST environment variable.
* In the directories ../boost and ../Trunk.

In addition the variables BOOST and BOOST_ROOT are set to point to the root
of the Boost install, so to refer to other
Boost libraries and the main Boost headers, your Jamfile should contain
something like:

import modules ;

local boost-path = [ modules.peek : BOOST ] ;

And then you can refer to a Boost library "foo" as:

$(boost)/libs/foo/build//boost_foo

Note that if your project does not specify a Jamroot file, then a default
one is provided for you,
and that this file will automatically add $(BOOST)/ to your include path.

HTH, John.