Subject: [Boost-users] [BGL] visualizing large graphs
From: Cedric Laczny (cedric.laczny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 04:24:10

Hi,

although this might seem a bit off-topic, I think it is an important topic and
might be very well interesting for some of us.
The boost graph library provides methods to export graphs e.g. for the use
with graphviz.
However, this is a rather "one-way" solution. Besides that, it is difficult to
handle large graphs with graphviz. Therefore, I was wondering if there have
been some recent developments here?
I would especially be interested in a solution that allows the direct
visualisation of a graph (even previously serialized), possibly integrating
ways to filter out some of the data in order to be able to visualize the graph
in some way. It is clear to me that visualizing arbitrarily large graphs will
be limited by physical limitations mostly (RAM etc.). But I would find it very
convenient to at least load the graph, set some filters, so that I don't need
to do this seperatly via a C++-program. Actually, I am writing my graph to a
format that can be visualized by Cytoscape. Unfortunately, this suffers from
large limitations on the size of the graph (number of edges and nodes).
I am looking forward to hear your ideas about this and possible suggestions
about libraries or programs that might achieve this goal.
Thank you.

Best regards,

Cedric