Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [BGL] visualizing large graphs
From: Jens Weller (JensWeller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 19:47:24

> Hi,
>
> although this might seem a bit off-topic, I think it is an important topic
> and
> might be very well interesting for some of us.
> The boost graph library provides methods to export graphs e.g. for the use
> with graphviz.
> However, this is a rather "one-way" solution. Besides that, it is
> difficult to
> handle large graphs with graphviz.

I think thats an interesting problem, but also very difficult, also the topology you'd like to display the graph in adds to it.
I've been playing around with the layout algorithms in BGL now for quite a while, and would like to know, if they could be suitable for your problem.
But Kamada Kawai Spring or Fruchterman Reingold are probably quite resource hungry for larger graphs.

But in the concept, all you need is a position Map of your graph.
The question should be, is there yet an algorithm in Boost fitting this.
Also in my Mind is the thought, if maybe a kind of Map-Reduce like solution could solve your problem.

regards,

Jens Weller