Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [serialization] boost::serialization adds huge amounts of exports to resultant Windows PE file
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 22:48:55

Chris Yuen wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am using boost::serialization from 1.44.0. One thing that I noticed
> is that linking statically to the serialization libs will add several
> hundred exports in the final exe file that I get. Using `dumpbin
> /exports my_program.exe`

These functions are not explicity called from the library.
But they ARE called as part of the serialization process. Its
just that MSVC doesn't see them. So when you compile
for release, The MSVC Linker strips them out and the
program won't work anymore. In order to work around
this, these functions are explicitly exported. This prevents
MSVC from stripping them out. For more information
see force_include.hpp

Robert Ramey