Subject: [Boost-users] Boost Logos: proposed high constrast logo
From: Alfredo Correa (alfredo.correa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 02:05:19

Hi all,

In my opinion there should be a high contrast version of the Boost logo .
(by that I mean either black and white or high contrast with
very mild gradients on white background). Particularly I am talking
about the three hexagons icon.

As an example, the first attachment here has the official logo in SVG format.
Because of the background gradient and the gradient fill of the hexagon it is
not *obvious* how to convert this to high contrast. What should be
replaced by black (or solid blue)? the hexagon filling? the hexagon
borders? the background?

A possible high contrast logo is attached in the second file. By no means
official or the best option, it is just an possibility, maybe the simplest one.
*Just an example*.

Note that even the darkest blue used in the gradient of the official
logo is not enough to contrast with white, so I used a darker blue.

The reason I think a high contrast logo is the following:
If you want to have a document printing quality (or high quality PDF)
 you need a vector format. If the printing or visualization is done in
black and white, the logo should have high contrast otherwise the
appearance will be very device dependent. While everyone should take
care in printing in good devices having a logo that is barely visible
in black/white/grey printing in some devices is not acceptable.

As a test for what makes a high contrast logo a good one, just
try printing and small version (one centimeter square) of the logo in
a black and white laser printer with random text around it
and you will see the problem with the
low contrast original logo. It will appear like a grey blob at best.

Please this thread is not about a new logo design just an adaptation
of the existing one.
This thread is not be related with the "Powered by" logo discussion

Alfredo
PS: the attachments are Inkscape SVG.