Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost Logos: proposed high constrast logo
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-05 09:02:14

background?

Personally I'm not sure what the hexagons are about anyway.

(We are not a chemical company - and I didn't vote for the logo).

But it's what we've got.

> A possible high contrast logo is attached in the second file. By no means
official
> or the best option, it is just an possibility, maybe the simplest one.
> *Just an example*.
>
> Note that even the darkest blue used in the gradient of the official logo
is not
> enough to contrast with white, so I used a darker blue.
>
> The reason I think a high contrast logo is the following:
> If you want to have a document printing quality (or high quality PDF) you
need a
> vector format. If the printing or visualization is done in black and
white, the logo
> should have high contrast otherwise the appearance will be very device
> dependent. While everyone should take care in printing in good devices
having a
> logo that is barely visible in black/white/grey printing in some devices
is not
> acceptable.

> As a test for what makes a high contrast logo a good one, just try
printing and
> small version (one centimeter square) of the logo in a black and white
laser
> printer with random text around it and you will see the problem with the
low
> contrast original logo. It will appear like a grey blob at best.

This is true - but most docs are viewed on screen, and colour printing is
common too.

The word Boost in the logo will still stand out, and I think the whole
result is 'good enough'.
The text is the thing - I feel we only need the Boost logo as a minor
detail.

So (while your comments are entirely convincing), I don't feel it is worth
the complication.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,