Subject: Re: [Boost-users] General design question about threading/concurrency
From: Belcourt, K. Noel (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-25 12:03:32

Hi Julien,

On Oct 25, 2010, at 4:55 AM, Julien Martin wrote:

> Yes, I am indeed running a monte carlo simulation which simulates N
> paths and then, when all are finished that takes action based upon
> the results.
> What class, method or concepts should I look for in MPI please?

So are you new to MPI and Threading? If you don't have at least some
experience with parallel code development you could be jumping into
the deep end (but don't let me discourage you)! Here's some random
questions you might consider before adopting a particular approach.

How long does each independent simulation run (seconds, minutes,
hours)? Is there a throughput or turn around time requirement? What
kinds of hardware are you going to run on (smp dual, quad, hex)? Do
you have access to other compute machines on the network where you'll
run? If distributed machines are available, can you ssh into them,
are the machines homogeneous or heterogenous, do they have shared file
systems?

-- Noel