Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit Porting
From: Avi Bahra (avibahra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-01 12:01:29

Bryce Lelbach wrote:
>Regarding IBM's compiler, I tried to obtain a testing version/demo. The vague
>link to trial/demo stuff on their website seems to be broken (I tried it in IE
>8 on Windows and w3m on Linux. I lack the supercomputing power needed to run
>Firefox).

>Avi, I'd love to try to help support you here, but I can't do much without at least
>access to a trial version of the compiler. I've sent an email to IBM asking for
>the production version of their compiler, but I doubt that will end well.

I have had contact with Michael, from IBM, and took part in providing
feedback for beta version of their latest v11.1 compiler. My number one
issue was to make sure boost serialisation worked. To that
end, they had devoted resources to make sure this worked. So on the whole
I am happy with what they provided.
There is however still a couple of outstanding issues with regards
serialisation:
     o portable binary archive is broken
     o release mode of the compiler, crashes
I have provided them test samples which show these issue, but I am not
sure if any resource has been put to address this.

Currently I use spirit classic and boost serialisation on AIX. I am
very keen to move
to spirit v2/Qi . So its also critical for me that IBM does address the issue
at some point in the near future.(performance of spirit classic AST is
really bad)

I will contact Michael Wong and request that they look into this
issue(Spirit V2) or
make the compiler available to you.
However their are no guarantees. If there any progress , I will report back
on this mailing group.

   Best regards,
Ta,
    Avi