Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Spirit Porting
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-01 13:55:27

Avi Bahra wrote:
> Bryce Lelbach wrote:

> I have had contact with Michael, from IBM, and took part in providing
> feedback for beta version of their latest v11.1 compiler. My number
> one issue was to make sure boost serialisation worked. To that
> end, they had devoted resources to make sure this worked. So on the
> whole
> I am happy with what they provided.
> There is however still a couple of outstanding issues with regards
> serialisation:
> o portable binary archive is broken

That shouldn't be too hard to fix since it's not that complex.

> o release mode of the compiler, crashes

Hmmm - that doesn't seem good to me. Since the trunk tests
are all run in debug builds (as far as I know) we've never seen this.

> I have provided them test samples which show these issue, but I am not
> sure if any resource has been put to address this.
>
> Currently I use spirit classic and boost serialisation on AIX. I am
> very keen to move to spirit v2/Qi .

Thanks for taking this on!

>So its also critical for me that IBM does address
> the issue at some point in the near future.(performance of spirit
> classic AST is really bad)
>
> I will contact Michael Wong and request that they look into this
> issue(Spirit V2) or make the compiler available to you.
> However their are no guarantees. If there any progress , I will
> report back on this mailing group.

In the past I have been in contact with the IBM compiler group
regarding serialization. I should say they have been very helpful
and have invested efforts to make sure that serialization compilers
and passes all tests with their compilers. I know this for a fact
as a specific group of test failures related to "export" functionality
were resolved due to their efforts. That is the main reason that
I don't want to see this platform regress with 1.45

Robert Ramey