Subject: Re: [Boost-users] named pipes in boost for Linux
From: Boris Schaeling (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-18 19:04:06

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 00:12:50 +0100, rohini chandra pallapothu
<rohinichandrap_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]Now, I want to use some other IPC technique other than boost
> message queues
> due to the above reason. So I thought of checking if pipe communication
> is
> possible between two unrelated processes using boost.
>
> Could you please help me if you have more information regarding this.

I think the fastest solution for you is to copy&paste the code from the
stream behavior named_pipe in Boost.Process. One process needs to call
mkfifo() and open() and the other process only open(). If you set the
O_NONBLOCK flag with fcntl() you can even use asynchronous I/O with
Boost.Asio (see boost::asio::posix::stream_descriptor). It's not a Boost
solution but copying and adapting the code shouldn't take longer than a
few minutes. :)

Boris