Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Suggestion to the packaging of boost libraries
From: Michael Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-27 15:43:24

On 12/27/10 2:30 PM, in article
01af01cba5fc$7dbf45e0$793dd1a0$@oneunified.net, "Raymond Burkholder" wrote:

>> I guess you mean the libraries that are not domain-specific but more like
>> language library extension?
>> I remember another discussion about this very toppic earlier in the year.
>
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 15:37, Taworn T. <taworn_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just courious. But how do you define what the frequently used
>>> libraries are?
>>>
>> Thank for the question. I think the word "frequently-use" is quite
>> ambiguous.
>> And everyone works might be difference.
>
>> But of course, if this concept is accepted by boost community. The decision
>> about "frequently-used-libraries" must be decided by boost developer team.
>
> I think that the definition of Œfrequent-use¹ continuously changes as one uses
> the library and encounters/learns more and more useful tools. I would vote
> that the packaging remains as it is.
>
> If one wants only specific headers, I think there was a discussion many moons
> ago about a tool which would extract the Œused¹ headers for minimizing a final
> project footprint.
>
> Ray

That tool is "bcp" which is part of the standard boost source download. You
can use it to extract a subset of boost for your project or maybe to turn
into a sub-part of your project. What I find amusing is that in order to get
shared_ptr<> you end up getting something like 3MB worth of source files.

Mike Jackson