Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: John Wiegley (johnw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-14 14:43:08

Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> * John Wiegley has developed a comprehensive strategy for rewriting
> SVN history to preserve as much information as possible about the
> evolution of everything, and he's working on implementing that. I
> expect results soon.

I wanted to chime in here and say hello; and that yes, I'm working on the
modularization project with input from both Dave and Eric. I have the
beginnings of the migration script up here:

  https://github.com/jwiegley/boost-migrate

It's very rough right now, as I'm still exploring the completeness of the
Subversion 'dump' format, and how to use Git plumbing to avoid the migration
process taking days upon days to complete.

I fully expect that when completed, the migration script will not only exactly
replicate the existing Subversion repository, revision for commit (with some
revisions being ommitted if they only change properties/directories, and
others being split if their transactions affect multiple branches
simultaneously), but it will also modularize that history at the same time,
preserving as much relevant history within each module as possible.

If I had full-time to work on this, I'd expect the script to be completed and
within 3-4 days. Since my present workload gives me only an hour or so each
day to work on it, it may be a couple weeks before I can invite sincere
criticism. Until then, feel free to add yourself as a watcher on the project,
and I'll post changes to it as I progress.

John