Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: John Wiegley (johnw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-22 08:01:04

On Jan 14, 2011, at 2:43 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

> I wanted to chime in here and say hello; and that yes, I'm working on the
> modularization project with input from both Dave and Eric. I have the
> beginnings of the migration script up here:
>
> https://github.com/jwiegley/boost-migrate
>
> It's very rough right now, as I'm still exploring the completeness of the
> Subversion 'dump' format, and how to use Git plumbing to avoid the migration
> process taking days upon days to complete.

Quick status update: Direct conversion from a Subversion flat-filesystem to
an identical Git flat-filesystem now works. It takes 8 GB of RAM and a lot
of time to run, but that can be optimized fairly easily.

Next step is to read in a corrected branches.txt file (this is currently
generated based on hueristics by the 'branches' subcommand), and then use
that information to output a branchified object hierarchy instead of a flat
one. This step should be very easy to implement.

After that is reading Eric's manifest.txt file and using the information
to produce multiple submodules during the repository conversion process.
This step is quite a bit trickery, and will require a few days to get
right.

John