Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-30 19:16:58

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 15:38, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Okay, so this is just an instance of using
> local commits--which as far as I can tell
> is the only actual advantage of a DVCS.

I agree -- everything different about a DVCS is a consequence of
allowing local commits. The best way I've seen of phrasing that
fundamental difference:

    "[A DVCS] separates the act of committing new code from the act of
inflicting it on everybody else." ~ <http://hginit.com/00.html>

Similarly, the differences between git and all the other DVCSs seem to
come from one of two decisions: 1) Store trees, not changes, and 2)
All parents in a merge are equal.

~ Scott