Subject: Re: [Boost-users] What's happened to Ryppl?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-30 22:13:16

On 1/30/2011 7:16 PM, Scott McMurray wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 15:38, Steven Watanabe<watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, so this is just an instance of using
>> local commits--which as far as I can tell
>> is the only actual advantage of a DVCS.
>>

> I agree -- everything different about a DVCS is a consequence of
> allowing local commits. The best way I've seen of phrasing that
> fundamental difference:
>
> "[A DVCS] separates the act of committing new code from the act of
> inflicting it on everybody else." ~<http://hginit.com/00.html>

But of course when you eventually merge all your local commits which Git
encourages you to keep to yourself until you are good and ready to
combine them with other people's repositories and local commits, it all
works flawlessly and easily without any question of conflicts and the
resulting code is just perfect because Git is so good.