Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost.test] benchmarking support
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 16:13:15

Marco Craveiro <marco.craveiro <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 14:30 -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:
> > hmmm - you can look at libs/serialization/test/performance to see how I've
> > addressed the problem.
> >

> thanks Robert, this looks like what i need. however, wouldn't it be
> easier to benchmark if one could do it directly from boost.test?
>
> - BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE(test_name, 10000 /*repetitions*/)
> - pass in a parameter in the command line to activate benchmarking, e.g.
> --benchmark. this results in running the test "repetitions" times; if
> not passed, runs only once
> - the timing is already done by boost.test so no changes there.
>
> do ppl think this is an acceptable approach? i'll raise a feature
> request if that's the case.

Some kind of benchmarking support has been sitting on my TODO list for very
long. I have some ideas as to what can go there. I am open for anyone
implementing the change in Boost.Test I can help with suggestion and review. I
myself can't really find a time slot these days, but maybe I can try one of the
weekends...

Gennadiy