Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Review] Phoenix V3: mini-review starts February 19th
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 12:48:53

On 2/2/2011 12:06 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Phoenix V3 is nearing its completion.
>>
>> With the port to Boost.Proto we tried to address the outstanding
>> issues of the review and would like to announce that the mini-review
>> will start on February 19th.
>>
>> Feel free to preview the code at:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/SOC/2010/phoenix3/
>>
>> and the documentation at:
>>

>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/SOC/2010/phoenix3/libs/phoenix/doc/ht
>> ml/index.html
>>
>> We are currently occupied with code cleanups and finishing of the
>> documentation.
>> The code itself is in a stable condition, feel free to make yourself
>> comfortable with this new library.
>>
>> Regards Hartmut
>> Phoenix V3 Review Manager
>> ---------------
>> http://boost-spirit.com
>
> I've been studying proto/fusion/phoenix. Becoming familiar with this stuff
> takes quite an effort. It's quite interesting though. And it seems ideal
> for
> a project I want to do. But I do have one question:
>
> phoenix/Function objects
> Functional/
> Proto/
> PolymorphicFunctionObject

What is 'PolymorphicFunctionObject' ? Proto is for building dsels, is it
not ? Boost 'functional' is kind of old. Does anybody use it much anymore ?

Instead I see:

boost::bind,
boost::lambda,
boost::phoenix

all producing function objects and boost::function as a universal holder
of such objects. But I have not studied Phoenix as yet although I am
overjoyed it is finally being considered as an individual part of Boost.
My understanding from very briefly looking at it is that it is a
successor to boost::lambda.