Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Most recent version of Boost supporting MSVC6
From: Kerry, Richard (richard.kerry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 08:02:55

I thought someone might ask this .....

I certainly don't "want" to use VC6, but I'm not working on my own on independent programs, I'm in a team of about ten people developing and maintaining a set of applications that work together. We'd like to move to a new compiler but it'll take a lot of testing to confirm that after we've done so everything still continies to work and work together (*). And to confirm that a random mixture of applications taken from both groups (VC6 and VCnewer) will work together as that is the way our main customer tends to operate.
This will all take some time and require someone to fund it.
And you might well also ask why the testing would be so onerous assuming we have automated testing which would deal with this....
(by which I mean that we haven't got that)

In the meantime I need a Regular Expression library.

Unhelpfully,
Richard.

(*) We still haven't completed the move from Borland C++ to VC6.
That constitutes a move from an 18 year old compiler to a 13 year old one.....