Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Most recent version of Boost supporting MSVC6
From: Tim Day (timday_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 18:37:54

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 14:02 +0100, Kerry, Richard wrote:
> I thought someone might ask this .....
> I certainly don't "want" to use VC6, but I'm not working on my own on independent programs...

I feel your pain. My team is responsible for some VC6 libraries which
really should have been in a bugfixes-only maintenance mode for years
now, yet we're still asked to port new functionality to them and do just
one more release please honest it's the last time we'll ask really...

For cases like this it's well worth being aware of the Intel C++
compiler's ability (up to version 10 anyway; even Intel bid VC6 support
goodbye in the latest version 11) to compile modern C++ into VC6
compatible libraries (/Qvc6 option or something like that). Providing
you encapsulate stuff well enough (tactical use of pimpl idiom helpful)
this lets you integrate big chunks of yummy modern boost-using C++ into
legacy VC6-built systems but without resorting to COM or a C-language
compatible DLL. I'm told the combination also deals with exceptions
better than you'd expect given VC6's poor reputation in that area.

Tim