Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [phoenix] V2, V3 and the amount of memory needed by the compiler to just include them
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-23 22:26:01

> On 2/24/2011 8:57 AM, Joel de Guzman wrote:
> > So will TMP scale? Definitely! Will there be a future for Phoenix and
> > other template heavy libraries? Unequivocally YES!
> >
> > At the very least I would say: Phoenix3 is ahead of its time. Thomas
> > Heller did an amazing job!
>
> Ugh, these valid concerns about compile time and space are ... valid.
> Yes, it'll get better over time, Joel's right, but there are things that
> can be done today. Proto and Fusion can be preprocessed like MPL. Proto
> can use variadic templates and rvalue references where available to bring
> down the number of overloads. Things /can/ be better today. If only there
> were more time.

Thomas and I found a nice and simple way to do the preprocessing to Phoenix
V3 which required a coupe of hours of hacking for it to be added. The effect
was significant (see attached figure). Therefore, I can only encourage to
add partial preprocessing to Fusion and Proto!

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com

Untitled.png