Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::asio from C++ Forms App in VS 2010
From: Matthew Herrmann (matthewinrandwick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-28 16:21:58

> If ASIO is really an inappropriate tool to be using under Visual Studio, I would like to know so that I don't run into some showstopper problem down the line. However, if that is the case, it should be stated loud and clear in the documentation so that people like me and Alan Vella don't make the mistake of using the wrong tool. A compile error would be nice as well.

How are you planning on melding the windows forms event loop and the asio work queue? That's what I would see as the main challenge.

For example, when an asio timeout fires, how would you get an event callback in the forms code? Run two threads and post a message to a threadsafe queue? Or Is there a windows handle you can access from asio to add it to the forms event loop?

Best wishes,
Matthew